Friday, April 18, 2008

Toronto so far...

The weather here has been super nice - warm and sunny with blue skies and a few fluffy clouds. Yesterday I caught the sun a little bit when I went over to the Toronto islands on the ferry. There are no cars there, just beaches, forests, rivers and a few houses. They also had 'disc golf course' which is kinda like real golf but instead of clubs, balls and holes you have a frisbee and pole. I didn't have my frisbee so couldn't tell you what it was like though. It was a nice place to walk around but I had to come back a bit sooner than I might have as none of the shops were open as summer season still hasn't officially started yet and I was hungry and thirsty. I found a nice place for dinner called Fran's diner and had good old shepherds pie with veg. I've never tucked into green vegetables so keenly, it's suprising what you miss!! The bus girl emailed me to say she wasn't going to the bluegrass gig so instead I went to club Rex to see a live jazz band. There were a lot of beards, slacks and roll-neck sweaters around, but the music was quite good and there was a younger crowd in too.

Today I went to Bata Shoe Museum. It was a bit dissapointing really, lots of ancient sandals, moccasins and other 'historic' footwear but a real lack of anything modern, cool or sexy. Afterwards I wandered around a different section of shops, found a few more records. After staying slap bang in the middle of Broadway in NYC and not seeing a show, who would have thought that I'd have gone to see a musical in Toronto? Well I did tonight and Evil Dead: The Musical was very good. Yes, you did read that right, some crazy Canadians have taken bits from the films and made a stage show out of it. The songs were quite good (kinda Rocky Horror/Grease style Rock n Roll), there were plenty of laughs, the girls were hot and they even had loads of fake blood squirting out into the audience! Hopefully it will make it's way to the UK at some point.

Tomorrow I plan on going to Niagara Falls and at the weekend a museum or two. On Monday I go to Montreal by train. Just spending a few nights there and then on to Boston for a week. Hostels are already booked, as is the train. I'm just uploading some pics from the CN Tower and the Islands. I'll add more another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I've been waiting for the Evil Dead musical to come to UK for ages - glad you enjoyed it - sounds wicked.

Sanguine